“If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.” -Julia Child
“First we eat, then we do everything else.” -M.F.K. Fisher
"The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook." -Julia Child
"I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food." -W.C. Fields
WELCOME TO OUR LIVES. WELCOME TO YEARS OF SEARCHING FOR SPACES WHERE WE CAN INVITE ALL OUR BROWN, ALL OUR QUEER, ALL OUR BROKEN. WELCOME TO THE MILLIONS OF MAGAZINES WE HAVE WALLPAPERED OUR MINDS WITH. WELCOME TO THAT ONE WORKSHOP WHERE WE ASKED “WHAT ABOUT RACE” AND THEY…
Some other facts about Josephine Baker (Freda Josephine McDonald)
- She first married at the age of 13
- She danced alongside Ethel Waters at the Plantation Club in New York City
- She tried to bring her career to America in 1936 but the racism forced her back to France
- She was a member of the Free French forces during WWII
- She also worked for the French Resistance during WWII. She smuggled messages in her underwear and music sheets.
- She was awarded the Croix de Guerre and the Legion of Honour for her work with the French military
- She was married 4 times
- She adopted 12 children from around the world
- She attended the March on Washington and was one of the speaker’s
- In 1973 she finally got to perform at Carnegie Hall in NYC
- Princess Grace of Monaco was a friend of Josephine Baker
- Josephine Baker died in her sleep of a cerebral hemorrhage on April 12, 1975 at the age of 69
- Over 20,000 people attended her funeral procession in Paris
- May 20th is Josephine Baker Day as declared by the NAACP because of her Civil Rights work
Ho ho, you are no match for the mage-knight and her enchanted spellblade! Best accompanied by some fitting 8-bit music.
(*secretly hopes someone busts out RPG Maker and turns this into a real thing*)
Little Girls Are Better At Designing Superheroes Than You is a project where superheroes are drawn based on the costumes of young girls.
This is Shooting Star! With her corkscrew pigtails and her Chucks of justice, she flits through the night shooting stars to turn darkness into light.Drawn by yours truly, Alex Law ;)
Mayan Women reversing that white settler-colonial gaze.
… with different degrees of struggles that we’re implemented by the pale skin via conquests using weapons such as warfare, religion indoctrination, and oppression. And then after pale skin set systems like this into our society, they go around and say things like “We are all human” and confuse “racism” with “prejudice” so that they can keep the system the same way for many years to come.
You totally missed the point of this, didn’t you?
That were all human? No. What you missed is that it’s a dismissive phase that a lot of people like to say at times to dismiss arguments like the one you clearly missed.
Some of us can’t afford to live on fantasy island.
Fun History Fact: The overwhelming majority of cowboys in the U.S. were Indigenous, Black, and/or Mexican persons. The omnipresent white cowboy is a Hollywood studio concoction meant to uphold the mythology of white masculinity.
I will always re-blog this
Hence why they’re called cowBOY. “Boy” was a common title/nickname for men of color (usually black men) used as a way to demean and infantilize them.